Continuing on from the bad, these portfolios all contain useful features that could greatly enrich my portfolio.
1). http://krzysztofteper.com/index.html
Presentation?
Starting with Krzysztof Teper; his portfolio catches your attention instantly. It's minimalistic, using large, bold text with an orange, white and grey colour scheme, making it for starters, very easy on the eye. He had greatly considered the principles of Human Computer Interaction. Work is presented in a vertical set of banner images, large enough to fully show off detail but not so large that they become cumbersome. Shipped titles utilise very nice promotional images whilst personal work is clearly labelled in the bottom left corner of each image
Work Quality?
The work quality is outstanding. Just the work renders and in-game screenshots are taken in at such creative angles. It really brings a lot of life to a static scene. This is the type of portfolio I would personally want to aim for one day.
Ease of Accessibility?
With ease of accessibility, I only have one gripe. The social media links at the bottom of the page have been re-designed to match the portfolio's colour scheme so you really have no idea what each links you to unless you physically click it, Other than this, each banner links to an art showcase an the clear "resume" button in the top right links you to all the information you could possibly need.
Opinions?
This is one of the best I have seen. I can't see the author having any issues with employment and if I follow the same design principles, I should be able to create a very nice end result. The most important features being the minimalist style and colour pallet.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2). http://www.tituslunter.com/
Presentation?
Firstly with this portfolio, it's very unique in design, adopting a brand new style that I am yet to see in any other portfolio. It may look a little awkward to start with but works out to be incredibly easy to navigate without much of an issue. Its very minimalist which is nice in concept but it seems like a lot of space is wasted.
Work Quality?
The work quality is consistent throughout, even splitting the work in to years albums to further reduce the variation of ability between concepts. Just looking at these concepts, you can tell he could create any environmental concept without issue, no matter the subject. There may be a little too much work, over saturating the albums but as the work quality doesn't suffer, it simply shows that its the portfolio of a well seasoned artist.
Ease of Accessibility?
It could not be easier to navigate. From the start, you're only given basic headings, all self explanatory. If you want to return to the opening headings, just click the artist's logo and you'll be all set.
Opinions?
I like a lot about this portfolio but the design style is not exactly in such high standing with me. Once again it's a great example of the minimalist style that i need to capture in my portfolio. It's a great example of ease of accessibility so i'll reference this later down before i finalize my portfolio design.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3). http://christofferradsby.com/
Presentation?
Presentation is very neat, making full use of the screen space, even adjusting the proportions and image scaling to relation to your window size. Now this is a great feature that would be great within my portfolio, ensuring that its displayed correctly no-matter the window proportions. Minimalist styling is a running theme with the best portfolios, alongside large images and easy to location information.
Work Quality?
The quality is not only superbly high, the artist shows huge variation in art styles and modelling techniques. Everything from extremely low poly, hand painted models to near realism, original environments/ buildings. The artist has only put his best work up for scrutiny, with a large focus on personal projects. Once again, fairly important points to consider in my work. I need to focus greatly on quality over quantity whilst showing personal projects to show motivation outside of set given projects.
Ease of Accessibility?
Theres very little to say. Its got the same ease of accessibility of all the prior good examples. Focusing on solely the work and very limited yet always present navigation controls.
Opinions?
What i like the most about this portfolio is not the work nor the presentation. It's the half hearted humor hidden throughout, giving you the impression that the artist has the social skills alongside the ability to succeed without remaining professional. I'll consider this in my portfolio but its a file balancing act.
"I'm half Asian and half Swedish, I'll save your company from ninjas and can make awesome meatballs"
Best recruitment message, ever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4). http://www.sengjoon.com/
http://cargocollective.com/sengjoon (Showcase)
Presentation?
Presentation is once again minimalist in design with a heavy emphasis on the artwork. You can tell the artist takes a lot of pride in their style as even the font choice reflects the cyborg design style of their high detailed, CGI level models.
Work Quality?
The work hits a level of quality that simply makes your jaw drop and it revels in it. Bombarding the viewer with not only phenomenal renders but an entirely separate gallery dedicated to the cyborg woman and her incredibly detailed vehicle, showing full breakdowns of texture sheets and topology.
Ease of Accessibility?
There isn't much to say here as the entire website is very easy to navigate, making you feel comfortable at even a first glace with full navigation options listed below the portfolio title.
Opinions?
Backgrounds have been blacked out and the bonus gallery is structured so professionally with background render colours matching up that you believe you're looking at something such as the Autodesk website or marketing for new rendering software. Although i cant replicate this level of finesse, i can still learn from it and have my renders whenever possible match the background, removing the need for clunky looking image borders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
5). http://polygoo.com/
Presentation?
This is a portfolio that has inspired me in the past. I personally view it presentation wise as the best of the best to aim for and learn from for my portfolio. Firstly the opening page instantly throws perfectly formatted thumbnails at you without ever making you feel overwhelmed. The title and subheadings all have wonderfully suited fonts that are custom designed to fit the sharp, crisp geometry of the work. The thumbnails have a variety of image sizes to stop the layout from becoming monotonous and even have a slight inner shadow to distance the thumbnail outline colour more from the grey background. I'll try to incorporate each and every one of these features in to my portfolio as it is practically everything i could ever want in presentation.
Work Quality?
Not much to really say here other than the work is phenomenal. The attention to detail and quality of the high to low poly baking is what i could only hope to achieve although i will be using this for reference with my work projects as the texturing and modelling quality stays at the same exceptional level throughout every piece of work posted on the portfolio, even showing breakdowns of the model with basic texture work to detailed texture work. Something i may want to consider including in my portfolio with the work breakdowns.
Ease of Accessibility?
By far the easiest portfolio to access and navigate. The perfectly formatted heading and links are displayed in the same position across each page and each model has a rough time stamp. I'll be using the fixed header design choice in my portfolio as it complies perfectly with the principles of human computer interaction.
Opinions?
I have voiced every opinion I have. The portfolio is what i what to have developed in 5 years time and it gives me the reference and incentive to do so. As long as I follow the rough website structure, I honestly cannot see any problems although in future posts, I will provide a full breakdown of HCI principles as I still have a lot of documentation from when I studied this extensively in college.
No comments:
Post a Comment